Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Violin Tour- My 2nd Violin

I've had 4 violins total (1 electric) in my whole life. I still remember getting my very first violin. I was in 4th grade and my violin was a 1/2 size, and I cherished it so much that I held it to my chest instead of holding the case by the handle. I was too afraid that it was going to break, even though it was snug in its case. Sadly, I don't have that violin anymore. I switched it out for a full size when I was in 6th grade. That violin I still have.


I played this violin up until the beginning of my sophomore year in high school. I was playing in the orchestra pit at the time for my high school's play, How to Succeed in Business Without Trying, and my friend noticed that I had a long crack running down my violin. I took it to a violin repairman, but he said there wasn't much he could do. He could put glue in the crack, but the sound of my violin wouldn't be very good, or he could repair the violin fully, but it'd cost a lot of money and he'd have to take a lot of the violin apart to do so. We decided to go with the glue. It was pretty disappointing.

I tried out a violin at the repairman's shop just for fun though and I absolutely loved it. Every note I played reverberated throughout the entire room with a deep, warm and rich sound. It had gorgeous brown wood and the bow had rainbow colors on the bottom of the frog. But I remembered that I had to be reasonable and stick with the glue option for my old violin and I left empty handed that day.

However...

My mom surprised me with a new violin a week or two later, the one that I had tried out at the repairman's shop just for fun and fell in love with!

More on that violin tomorrow. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment